Topband: T2AR now QRV on Topband

Wayne n7ng at arrl.net
Tue Jul 2 15:35:20 EDT 2019

 From T2AR via N7NG:

On Jul 2, 2019, at 5:21 AM, John Mitton <jpmitton at gmail.com
<mailto:jpmitton at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hey gang (and Bernie too!),

Greetings from T2 where Tony (3D2AG) and I — after a fair bit of blood,
sweat, and tears (yes all three) — have managed to put up an inverted L
using Tony’s 18 meter tall Spiderpole for Topband. We strung out three
elevated radials just above the lagoon high tide level and did some
preliminary tweaking last night, which resulted in a bucketload of JA
contacts on FT8 and CW. Occasional strong QRN from a public works
project about a km away sometimes creates a challenge, but we seem to be
OK without a receive antenna.

Other than Tony’s short-lived Topband activation here last year (strong
winds ended it after one night), this is probably the first activation
with real potential to log T2 since Stan was here in 2015. We realize
its not an ideal time of year, but the opportunity arose to set in
motion a humanitarian emcomm project for the remote islands so we make a
mini-Dxpedition out of it.

We go QRT on Friday morning our time.
Hope to see you in the T2AR log.
VY 73 DE KK7L