Topband: Ticks

tony.kaz at verizon.net tony.kaz at verizon.net
Tue Jul 16 15:39:48 EDT 2019

Gary,
Thanks for the tip on the Permethrin to get it in large containers at an
affordable price. Looks like dilution is about 1:120. One 1.25 gal should
give me one coverage. But can't be shipped to NY. Need to ship to a buddy in
NJ or PA.

I have been spraying my entire yard twice a year with Bug-B-Gone for many
years using a mix sprayer on hoses. I had Lyme twice, the first episode
about 25 years ago before they routinely tested for Lyme. That was an
interesting year. Since I have been doing this I have not found a tick when
I drag a white towel over the yard and then inspecting with a magnifying
glass as the deer ticks are quite small.
I use Permethrin on my yard clothes and spray Deet on my open skin areas
when working in the yard.
Also, I have used traps to get rid of the mice and chipmunks as they are the
main carriers of contaminated ticks. Between the hawks and me the little
critters are gone. Way in the back I keep the weeds cut down or sprayed with
weed/grass killer. I sure don't want to get Lyme again.
N2TK, Tony