Topband: Short CQs and exchanges

VE6WZ_Steve ve6wz at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 6 17:23:54 EST 2019

I’m sure this has been discussed before on the reflector, but as a reminder to all, please keep your CQs SHORT and exchanges QUICK.

I still hear even experienced ops sending long CQs. CQ repeated 5 times, with the call 4 times etc. and sometimes repeated!  This is a sure way to minimize your success on TB. Don't do this.
Many times I have listened as the DX sends loooong CQs, and I watch the QSB peak come, then go at the end leaving no chance for a QSO except to wait for the next cycle.  The QSB peaks often can last only 20-40 seconds, and then the path is gone for another few minutes.  Anyone with a waterfall display can see this happening….a LOT on 160m.

Much preferred are short, 2X1 or 3X2 CQs.  Repeat often.  Longer CQs do nothing but decrease the chance that someone can call on the QSB peak. There is no need for sending more than 2 or 3 CQs followed by your call.  If you find yourself sending more than 3 CQs in a row perhaps reconsider.

Don’t think everyone doesn't already know you are on that QRG and what your call is.  Like it or not, with RBN, you are spotted within 5 seconds of your first CQ.  Sending your call repeatedly is a waste of time. Either way, with short CQs, we can get the call on the next CQ.

The same with exchanges.  Keep them short. Really short at first. “his call, ur 449 449 BK”, send again if no reply. repeat.  Its nice to exchange details, and if condx are rocking good then we can, but leave sending details till after the basic exchange in case QSB wipes out the path.  We may only have 30 seconds in total to make the QSO! We are not operating on 20m.  One reason the FT-8 mode “works” so well is the short, repeating TX/RX periods.

So far 160m has been pretty good here at VE6WZ in spite of the recurring coronal hole spewing at earth every month.
During the three months from August to September I have made 181 trans-polar EU/AF QSOs and 210 AS/OC QSOs.  All on CW.
I think things are shaping up for a good season.

73, de steve ve6wz.