Topband: Blatant cheating using Remote Operation

m.r.c. mrc02 at kinderteacher.com
Sun Oct 13 02:09:40 EDT 2019

this is a bit long, but I think explaining the hole in the rules and how they apply to us is worthwhile..
.

Unfortunately, there is a significant hole in the regulations on this subject.  An Amateur STATION in the
US no longer HAS an assigned call sign.  - We used to be issued a license that consisted of two parts, a
station license and an operators license.  That is no longer so.  The "station" license issued now says
station privileges=PRIMARY.

All this means is that as a properly licensed operator, we may be the primary control operator of any
amateur station.

The licensed OWNER of an amateur station  - a licensee - is required to adequately secure and control his
station.  It REQUIRES his ACTIVE agreement to allow another amateur to control (operate) his station.
Because we are authorized to be primary control operator, we are more likely to - and generally are
expected to - identify with our own callsign.  We are identifying the licensee who is responsible for the
station emissions at that time.   Minor variations for club callsigns and special event callsigns. Never
the less ANY amateur station must have a suitably licensed control operator. (some minor allowances for
certain types of automatic stations generally on VHF-UHF)

There is absolutely nothing in the rules relating to the physical location of the control operator.  This
is only slightly confused if a licensee of another country utilizes control operator privileges on a US
station.  It appears to be a non issue for any appropriately licensed operator from a country with a
reciprocal operating agreement in place.  It gets sticky when it is an operator from a country with no
such agreement.

Never the less, an amateur station within the FCC jurisdiction must identify with an FCC issued callsign,
or one officially recognized by the FCC in reciprocal operator agreement IE  W2/G5ABC.  This provides
proper identification of the control operator.   ( somehow I think W2/P5DX would not be accepted)

These are issues I've dealt with for many decades in the VHF-UHF repeater and remotely controlled station
environment.  Id rather have a station license.

ALL comments above ONLY apply to stations within the FCC jurisdiction area

In summary, RF generated within a country must be identified by a callsign recognized by the authorities
of that country. For remote stations within the US operated by a US licensee, it appears to be legal to
use either his own callsign, or the callsign of the station owner ( club/special event variations)

Today, the callsign districts carry little meaning.  We are not required to identify W2/WA6CDR if we are
either visiting or have moved to the 2nd district and have yet to notify the change in station location.

I know that I am correct that it is NOT legal if a foreign operator uses a station inside the US and
signs ONLY his own county callsign.  I desire for that to be true in other countries, but it is not a
fact, it is a desire.

Remotely controlled stations should not be treated any differently than any other station as long as the
station is properly identified.

If the remote stations equipment and antennas conform to the contest or DXCC regulations, the station,
Properly Identified should be treated identically to any other.

It is FCC legal for me to log into a remote station in Maine for the evening hours of the 160CW contest,
and then switch to my own station for the morning hours. However, such operation clearly does NOT conform
to the contest rules.

Unfortunately, there are people who choose to violate the rules- either the words or the intent of the
rules in order to gain a perceived advantage.  Those people KNOW they cheated in order to get what they
got.  We can encourage the responsible entity to take notice, but we can not stop it.  We can notify the
Contest/DXCC folks if we observe such an activity, BUT, be sure of your facts.  Using such an accusation
as a "weapon"- in either direction - is just as much cheating as the original issue.

We can submit our own entries proudly knowing that we did everything within the rules.

Enough from me

Robin Critchell
WA6CDR