Topband: Remote operation

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 16:47:05 EDT 2019

Very well said, Dave. You are an emotionally mature fellow, as most folks
here are.

I don't often join in with discussions like these, but ...

Some individuals simply decide to whine and complain. That's just a fact.
And that'll never change. A recurring theme on this reflector. Finally, our
dear moderator tactfully (IMHO, a little *too* tactfully) asks them to
stop. And only some get the point. Finally after some time passes, someone
will bring it up again. (Insert endless loop here.)

As has been well said here many times, this negative behaviour has been
going on since spark was being replaced by vacuum tubes. Next, it was the
diehard brass pounders complaining about AM. Then AM against SSB. Then all
of the above against digital, yada yada yada, ad nauseum. We can be sure
that this is not limited to their amateur radio activities.

At least two things need to happen on this fine reflector, IMO. Sadly,
history tells me that they simply won't happen. Kindly prove me wrong.

 1. They need to be ignored. That means all of us need to resist the
temptation to join them in their misery by pulling our hands away from the
reply button and our keyboard. More importantly, though:

 2. Experienced Topbanders and contesters should get together and:

 (a.) Draft a response to those in a position to make a decision and rule
on it (for example, remote stations in contests).

 (b.) Determine who and which are these proper channels. For the ARRL, is
that our respective Division Directors, Section Managers, the leadership at
Newington, or all of the above?

 (c.)  AND THEN relay our response to those channels.

As Yoda famously said, "Do or do not... off of reflector move do, proper
channels, yes. Here, time wasting is." ;-)

*That is all that I am going to say, *gentlemen. Apologies in advance for
hurting anyone's feelings.

Most respectfully and very 73 to all,
Mike Waters W0BTU
www.w0btu.com