Topband: BCB Filter Recommendation?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Apr 17 11:21:35 EDT 2020

On 4/17/2020 6:22 AM, Joe wrote:

> Is radio manufacturers that include steep filters and even attenuators
> in their radios to block AM Broadcast band signals. Then advertise that
> their radio covers from 50 KC to 60 Mhz!
> Sorry NO IT DOES NOT!!!
>
> It is extremely sad when a ten buck radio with it's internal ferrite bar
> antenna performs better than my $4000.00 dollar radio using a 600 foot
> loop up 60 feet antenna!
>
> Joe WB9SBD
> Sig

The AM BCB is unique, compared to 160/630/2200 meters, in that every
channel is occupied by multiple strong signals 24/7 that are strong
enough to overcome receiver noise with a tuned ferrite bar antenna.
A 600 foot loop is omni directional and horizontally polarized and
thus IMHO is a non-starter for BCB DX.  If you want to go beyond the
ferrite bar antenna, you could put up short beverages.  I used to
have six beverages spaced at 60 degrees azimuth that were only 400
feet long.  Although "too short" for BCB, in fact they were VERY
directional.  On a typical channel, at least 3 different stations
could be received, each on its own beverage.  In some cases 4 or
5 different stations could be heard.  My pocket size Sangean radio
($60 not $10) has amazing nulling capability for power line noise
due to its small antenna (better nulling than a big loop).  I
remember an amazing incident with this radio when I was listening
to a station in San Diego on 770 kHz IIRC and I accidentally turned
the radio so as to null out this station.  Up popped WJR in Detroit.
Not bad AM DX for a pocket radio on the left coast.

And now back to HAM radio.

73
Rick N6RK