Topband: Windows 10 Update heads up

Brad Rehm bradrehm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 16:26:22 EDT 2020

Phil,

I've turned off updates for the maximum allowed 35 days on Pat's and my
computers but not on my new laptop.  I use it occasionally to access my
Flex, so it will be my "canary in the coal mine" for future updates.  For
now, if it survives the next couple weeks, I'll allow the other updates to
download and install on the others.  If it doesn't, I'll only have to work
on one computer, not all of them.

It will be interesting to see if the laptop survives and the others don't.
Your comments, Phil, suggest that you think this could happen  If it does,
the problem gets even more complicated.  Does anyone out there have any
thoughts about why this might happen and how we might "scientifically"
separate the good updates from the bad?  If it does happen on any of our
computers, will this mean that we'll never be able to update Windows again
without having to do a lot of otherwise unnecessary work?

N.b., when a friend's computer was automatically updated a few days ago, he
lost access to many of his favorite programs and his desktop changed from
W7-style to W10, with tiles.

BTW, I've confirmed that if I turn off Windows updates, this will not stop
updates to the Windows security software.  Those have to be turned off
separately, but I haven't seen or heard of any problems with them.

73,
Brad  KV5V