Topband: Rohn 25 Vertical questions.

donovanf at erols.com donovanf at erols.com
Thu Aug 20 20:35:22 EDT 2020

Hi Rick,

A "magnetic" loop will provide at least a 20 dB null, that's good. But
it doesn't provide the weak signal receiving capability of a high
performance receiving antenna. Very small magnetic loops provide a
25 dB null but at the expense of much worse weak signal performance.
Like so many things with antennas, there's no free lunch...

SDRs are excellent receivers, but they have inadequate in-band dynamic
range for the in-band receiving we're discussing in this thread.
SDRs are not designed for extreme in-band dynamic range.

The section joints in Rohn 25/45/55 towers are at risk of micro arcing
because they -- intentionally -- do not fit tightly. There are multiple
approaches to electrically bond the sections.

There's a big difference between a vertical -- or any antenna -- that
"works" and one that is specifically constructed so it cannot micro-arc.

73
Frank
W3LPL