Topband: EZNEC Ground Errors

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Fri Dec 11 10:06:41 EST 2020

I have two receiving antennas on 160:  an 8-circle vertical array and a low
dipole up 10 feet.  I have been noticing that in the first part of the
evening, the dipole often hears Europe as well as, or nearly as well as, the
8-circle.  This appears to indicate that the signals are arriving at
relatively high angles.   This might also explain why a transmit dipole at a
moderate height can work well for DX.  Other times, the dipole is way down
from the 8-circle, and I would expect a vertical transmit antenna to do
better.

Occasionally in the mornings, around SR, the dipole also hears the DX as
well as or sometimes better than the 8-circle.

73, John W1FV