Topband: Low Dipoles

m.r.c. mrc02 at kinderteacher.com
Mon Dec 14 17:24:59 EST 2020

At XZ0A we would not have made about 50% of our NA contacts if we had not installed a low receiving
dipole.  It was the ONLY antenna that could hear NA stations for the hours at sunset and just after.
These were clearly skew paths as the NA stations all had to use antennas aimed to the SW in order to hear
us.  This during the solar maxima.  We did not transmit on the low dipole because it was too low, several
hundred feet away, not fed with transmit grade cable, and portions were supported by the all encompassing
wet brush.  It would have been a nice experiment if we had been able to transmit on that antenna.

Robin
WA6CDR
XZ0A-XZ1N-VP6DX