Topband: Inquiring minds want to know....

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sat Feb 8 20:53:54 EST 2020

Hello Carl

     All very interesting! I still see a huge increase in distances as
nightfall moves in, but all of the extremely distant stations are picked
up at the upper end of the NDB allocation close to 400 kHz. During the
day a good haul is Schenectady, NY to the west. For 25 watts that is a
good overland distance. At night I hear maybe another 200 miles into
Ontario. Once you go above 400 kHz, things change and I start hearing
stations much farther away at night. IY in Iowa also with 25 watts at
417 kHz has a pretty fair signal at night and is in audible during the
day.  I will do some more listening in the 200 khz range to see if I can
hear more distant stations during daylight. DIW in Dixon NC is on 198
kHz, but it is running QRO so that can be heard a long way off. Thanks
for the information. This sure is fun.

73

Dave K1WHS