Topband: 300 ohm twin lead for bidirectional Beverage antennas

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Sat Feb 29 13:56:31 EST 2020

Since the relevant portion of the original post was not quoted not sure
what the original problem was ....but

If your looking for an "easy" and reliable solution for a bi-directional
beverage in a single run so to speak, look at a copy of "The Beverage
Antenna Handbook" by Misek. He shows a Coaxial version ( I use RG6 but
will likely be switching to a RG58/59 variant in the future) . The
coaxial version shown by Misek can actually be fed anywhere along the
antenna ( including an end) and need not be fed in the center without
compromise. I have three here (a 460' Beverage and two 200' BOGs)
Pointing at various compass points (N/S, NE/SW AND E/W). The beauty of
the coaxial version is that it is a bidirectional with a single
wire/cable. Early on I did some side by side A/B comparison switching of
a classic 2 wire and coaxial 2 wire with no discernible difference.

I originally built my system with RG6 and Type F connectors. Problems
have arisen in that it is near impossible to find good quality Female
Type F connectors. the contact inside the connector either pushed out
the back of the connector or has the retention force of a piece of
tinfoil (yet another "gift" from PRC) . The net result is that I have
been plagued with intermittent connections and am slowing changing my
system over to PL259/SO239 connectors. This necessitates changing out
the RG6 as well since the jacket on most RG6 is steel and aluminum and
cant be soldered to adequately. So if you go this route I recommend
PL259's connectors and a coax with a solderable braid

Typical "does it work"  comment worthy of a quote from dozens of QST
article" I have worked a lot of DX with these antennas that I could not
hear on T top vertical" . Actually I have worked 132  countries on 160
in just 8 months after getting back on the band after a 10 year hiatus.

See you in the pile ups
Dave
NR1DX

On 2/29/2020 12:16 PM, Ham Hicks wrote:
> As I recall from the practice of years past, 300 ohm was the only way to
> hook up to a TV or FM broadcast antenna. There was both the flat variety,
> and a round design. The round type greatly reduced the rain / snow
> degradation as the "field" was completely within the line, and it was much
> stronger.  Maybe someone still has some of that tucked away.
> Ham
> KB4BR

Dave
Manuals at ArtekManuals.com