Topband: Problems with inv L on pier over salt water

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Wed Jan 8 15:22:55 EST 2020

Hi Cecil,No...you don't want your counterpoise in the water. The reason is that RF does not penetrate very far into salt water.The only exception would be if the water was only a few inches deep like in a salt marsh.73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Cecil <chacuff at cableone.net> Date: 1/8/20  12:01 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Ignacy Misztal <no9e at arrl.net> Cc: Topband at contesting.com Subject: Re: Topband: Problems with inv L on pier over salt water I’m far from an expert but if you were over salt water I would have placed the counterpoise in the water.I’d be curious what others think.Great experience though...CecilK5DL> On Jan 8, 2020, at 11:07 AM, Ignacy Misztal <no9e at arrl.net> wrote:> > I would like to share my experiences with 160m operations during the SP> contest last December.> > My rental house in St George Isl FL had a 140 ft pier over the bay. Also a> power line to the end of the pier raising questions about RFI.> > I set inv L at the end of the pier with 40ft Spiderpole, 70ft horizontal> and 70ft radial on the pier.  Horizontal with 24 gauge enameled wire for> low weight, and the rest with 18 ga THHN. Matching was with a transformer> on FT140-61 and coil on T200-2. Minimal SWR at 1.84.> > One hr before the sunset the EU was booming. RFI was pretty high but the> signals even stronger. I tried to use KX3 and Expert 1.3k combination, but> SWR become very unstable causing the Expert to turn off. I was looking for> culprits but could not find anything. Frustrated, I was forced to use> FT-891 at 100W.> > The setup was still pretty good as several EU answered my CQ.> > The next day I noticed that the radial on the pier that was touching> underneath (salt water sprayed) had melted insulation. Apparently this> caused sparcing and then variations in SWR.> > I relocated the radial away from the pier, over the bay. The resonance> moved from 1.84 to 1.96, and the impedance at resonance reduced from 40 to> 25 ohms. So the pier (or power line) was loading the antenna, surely> generating losses.  Operating with a KW was no longer a problem.> > Here are my lessons:> 1. 40ft Spiderpole is enough for highly efficient inv L over salt water.> 2. Beware of insulated wire touching anything and especially wet and salty> at high power.> 3. Even with problems, the performance of an antenna over salt water is> terrific.> 4. Matching units do not have to be big.> 5. With good antenna, $550 FT-891 is OK.> > Ignacy, NO9E> _________________> Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband Reflector_________________Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband Reflector