Topband: Problems with inv L on pier over salt water

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 8 17:58:16 EST 2020

Important facts about salt water are the attenuation of a wire submerged
10" at 1MHz is -87db and at 4S/m the conductivity is 10,000,000 times
less than copper wire.

Putting a single radial in a lossy medium doesn't work very well,
whether it is dirt or saltwater.  Radials elevated in low loss air work
very well, especially over salt water.  They should not connect to the
water just as elevated radials over land should not be grounded.

Modeling shows that one elevated radial over salt water has a few db
skew in the pattern but with 5 to 6 dbi very low angle peak gain. With
two radials the pattern is nearly perfectly symmetric.

These are the far field benefits of the ~1000x higher than earth
conductivity of salt water, so the salt water needs to extend out 5 or
so wavelengths.

Grant KZ1W