Topband: Topband resource

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jan 14 18:15:07 EST 2020

On 1/14/2020 2:48 PM, Roger Kennedy wrote:

> "However, 160 needs vertical polarization for consistent long DX."
>
> So how is it that I consistently work all over the world on 160m with my
> horizontal dipole at 50ft?!  (and my signals seem to often be pretty
> comparable with other Brits using verticals}
>
> Roger G3YRO

An easy explanation for what you are seeing is that your feedline is
unintentionally radiating as a vertically polarized element.  It
is really easy to occur unless you go to a lot of trouble to prevent
it.  And why would you do that?

You can find descriptions of the so called "loop sky wire" (horizontal
loop) where the reader is warned NOT to use a balun or it won't get
out.

Rick N6RK