Topband: Topband resource

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jan 14 18:27:45 EST 2020

On 1/14/2020 2:53 PM, donovanf at starpower.net wrote:
> I've had 160 horizontal dipoles at 100 feet and 200 feet high and
> I've never experienced a situation where their performance
> approached the consistent excellent performance of my verticals.

Same experience here. When I first moved to W6 in 2006, I rigged both a
horizontal dipole at about 120 ft and a 75 ft Tee vertical with a lot
on-ground radials, and for a year or two, switched between them on most
stations. That horizontal dipole rarely outperformed the Tee vertical,
and the vertical was often a LOT better. Most striking difference was in
the 2-3 hours of daylight between 2 pm and 5 pm local, which is when 160
contests start on the west coast. Running legal limit with the vertical,
I could regularly work 800 miles or so, usually one call. With the
dipole, never even a QRZ?

73, Jim K9YC