Topband: CQ WW Contest

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Wed Jan 29 19:19:25 EST 2020

Hi Mike,

While I can't comment about Mark's specific experiences in this
contest, our usual rule of thumb is that you can never have too many
antennas.

We've found that the 8-circle isn't the best receiving antenna while
running because its sidelobe levels are so low that you often hear
no trace of an off-azimuth caller (e.g., a PY answering a CQ while
we're listening NE).

We usually switch to the 8-circle when we cannot readily copy a
station with the Beverages. It usually improves SNR by several dB
which can make all the difference. Because of its low sidelobes, it
often receives DX stations much better in unruly pileups.

There are also some occasions when -- for whatever reason -- the
transmit 4-square receives slightly better than the 8-circle or
Beverages.

The 4-square and 8-circle are an excellent pair for diversity reception
with the K3.

We use the K9AY Model RAS-8x2 Receive Antenna Switching System
which provides the capability to listen to multiple antannas at the same
time and to share all of the antennas (4-square, Beverages, 8-circle)
among both receivers.

www.aytechnologies.com/Products/RAS8x2data.htm

73
Frank