Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:47:09 EDT 2020

This has been a very interesting thread - Thanks for all the input.

Perhaps I have set my expectations too high.

A typical application is on 15 meters, late in the opening, working JA's from
here in SW New Mexico. Absent any local QRN, the band is very quiet. Any local
noise covers the bottom layer of 5 watt JA's calling me.

I did some more testing with the MFJ-1025. With no antennas connected, the box
raises the noise floor about 10 dB, irrespective of the Aux Antenna Gain or the
Main Antenna Gain. I haven't yet tried powering from a battery, to make sure the
power supply isn't the source. Assuming the J310's are quiet, that leaves the
2N5109 emitter follower, or the back-to-back protection diodes. Might also try
disconnecting the RF sense circuit.

73,
Steve, N2IC