Topband: Ground Conductivity

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 23 20:48:29 EDT 2020

FYI some data which I found interesting

My dry earth at end of summer to very wet winter (WWA) causes my
lightning ground system DC (actually about 300Hz AC) resistance to vary
about 40% lower, ie 7+ ohms to 5 ohms.  There was also significant
differences from rod to rod re resistance measurements.

How this affects RF properties is of course debatable but I do see a swr
minimum shift of 10KHz or so on my T with 8 elevated radials.

One nearby expert (PhD ULF propagation) told me "acid rain washed out
all the minerals here long ago.  We have poor ground."  If you really
want to know the parameters, see antennasbyn6lf.com as Rudy describes
techniques for ground RF properties measuring.

It is interesting to know the ground parameters, but what if you don't
like them?  Gain and peak angle are affected, but for 1/4wl antennas -
T, L, or full ht aren't significantly differentially affected.  For
160m, put up the tallest you can with the most number of ground radials
or 6+ elevated radials.  Much more on this on the N6LF web site.

For your flat open terrain place your yagis at heights for the arrival
angles from geographies of interest to your QTH as shown in HFTA.
Ground doesn't matter much.

Grant KZ1W