Topband: [bevantennas] Ground screen under beverage....

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:34:05 EDT 2020

Gentlemen,

I am in full agreement with the many statements that Vic Misek's design (at
least in the first edition of his book) is, uh, 'not the best', and a
ground screen (or grounded wire) under a Beverage is 'mostly' *not* a good
idea. Over 40 years ago I was going to built it, but W8JI himself told me
in uncertain terms that it wasn't near as good as a 1λ Beverage (or
something to that effect. ;-)

However, in recent years it occurred to me that a wire or narrow ground
screen under a Beverage *might* not completely ruin its usefulness in all
types of soil, because the Beverage still "sees" the lossy earth on either
side of it to some(?) extent.
This is merely an untested theory of mine, and I have no idea whether there
is any case to be made for it.
*Most of all*, I know of no one who has performed technically-sound,
side-by-side instantaneous A-B F-B, RDF, etc. comparisons. I think this
might be what Jay is thinking about.

I also have heard that Vik has posted revisions to his design in newer
editions. But I am not qualified to say if they are better or not. An
advanced NEC 4.2 model would be better than nothing

Also, Vik's design *might* not be working as a true Beverage, but rather
something along the line of the many different compact receive antennas.
(The K9AY and Shared Apex array are all that come to mind, but I'm not
saying that there are any similarities to either of these.)

Much has been written by Beverage experts in the Topband reflector
searchable archives about this.
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/topband/
We would do well to study them.

73, Mike