Topband: [bevantennas] Ground screen under beverage....

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 1 20:03:47 EDT 2020

Worse than "not the best" or "not a good idea" from prior
experimentation.  My two Beverages 6 feet up (10' total Z) over a 4
strand barb wire fence did not work - very poor directivity.  One N-S
and one E-W. Then some NEC2 modeling showed 6db directivity over 3
strands of barb wire.  However, insulating all fence wires below a 600'
Beverage in 4 places, at ends and at 200' & 400' showed modeling 15db
directivity and 2 more db of gain.

Some good news was the modeling showed 1000' of continuous fence beyond
the ends had no effect. I sold the ranch before insulating the fence. (+
PITA to do it).

Beverage theory agrees with the modeling and experience, so it was a
learning experience for me.  Ran the models again with NEC4.2 and got
the same results.

So I learned to not have conductors parallel or nearly so in close
proximity to a Beverage and that the modeling made sense.

Grant KZ1W