Topband: Common mode choking of beverages

Mikek amdx at knology.net
Tue Oct 6 13:22:42 EDT 2020

>I've seen Cat 5 and 6 cable used up to 20MHz on one pair, power on another and data on a third, perhaps switching on a fourth pair. I know this >works for distances of at least 20 metres and I wonder if it would be good at LF for 10 times that distance.  It's also very tough and modestly >priced cable.  Can it be seen as a good use for this sort of application?

>David G3UNA/G6CP

  My experience, I have short BOG with a 230 foot CAT5 feed line. I use it mostly for AMBCB receiving.
Signal strengths are good, S9+ on night time 1000 mile away stations. Daytime reception is also good.
But I have no comparison to Coax. My common mode chocking is, "I've been told unconventional", "probably
doesn't work", however my feedline doesn't pickup AM stations, so if my BOG has any directionality,
the feed line doesn't alter that.
  I tested Coax against a twisted pair, twisted pair had much, much, less signal ingress. I was told "coax
doesn't have ingress" and "you must have had bad coax"  maybe...
                                  Mike Knowlton KF4ITA