Topband: Cage wire performance

Dave Cuthbert telegrapher9 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:18:11 EST 2021

Kenny, your model might have a problem with the acute antenna between the
two vertical wires. I ran EZNEC simulations to test this and compare
against a single vertical wire T reference antenna. Your antenna shows
similar bandwidth, but a different input resistance.

*Antenna 1 *reference antenna
75' vertical wire
from there extend two horizontal 35'wire
SWR bandwidth normalized to the antenna input resistance of *23 ohms*
*SWR bandwidth is 118kHz*

*Antenna 2 *your antenna
perfect GND, #12 bare wire, current segments are 1'
1' vertical wire from GND
from that wire two wires extend to 75' separated by 4' at the top
At 75' the two wires are joined
>From each 75' wire extends a 48' wire
SWR bandwidth normalized to the antenna input resistance of *16 ohms*
*2:1 SWR bandwidth is 100kHz*

*Antenna 3 *your antenna modified to conform to the NEC included angle rule
perfect GND, #12 bare wire
1' vertical wire from GND
from that, 2' horizontal wires extending opposite one another
two wires extend from the ends of those two wires to 75'
at 75' the two wires are joined
from each 75' wire extends a 52' horizontal wire
SWR bandwidth normalized to the antenna input resistance of *25 ohms*
*SWR bandwidth is 106kHz*

*Antenna 4* single vertical wire with a horizontal flat top wires
perfect GND, #12 bare wire
75' vertical wire from GND
from that, 2' horizontal wires extending opposite one another
two wires extend horizontally from the ends of each of those two wires to
22'
SWR bandwidth normalized to the antenna input resistance of *23 ohms*
*SWR bandwidth is 72kHz*

   Dave KH6AQ