Topband: Cage wire performance

GEORGE WALLNER aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jan 5 09:35:27 EST 2021

Kenny,
For the Baker Island KH1/KH7Z DXpedition I developed a 43 foot "T" antenna
with spreader wires (Fat Vertical) with sloping top loading wires. It
performed very well. I have been using a 65' version at C6AGU for the past
two years and it has been performing very well. (There is a picture of it on
the C6AGU QRZ.com page.) NEC modelling indicates higher gain (6 dBi) and
wider bandwidth, BUT making the antenna "fat" lowers its radiation
resistance, which places greater demands on the ground system. (Both on
Baker and C6AGU the antenna was standing in salt-water.)
The C6AGU antenna feed-point impedance was measured at 9 - 130j Ohms. (I use
a remote tuner.) If you measure a much higher resistive component, it could
indicated that you need to improve the GND system.
GL and 73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU