Topband: New Subject: 160M array feedline question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 22 20:40:51 EDT 2021

On 3/22/2021 2:41 PM, Carl Braun wrote:
> Some brought up the idea of my ground mounted radials becoming submerged in fresh water...however, that would only take place for a week or less during the spring here and, it would only happen if we had a slow snow pack melt and rain at the same time.

The earth is a big resistor. Connecting to it BURNS transmitter power.
What many folks miss is that the function of radials is to SHIELD the
antenna's fields and return current from lossy earth, NOT to couple to
it. The only part of the earth we want to carry return current or see a
transmitting antenna's field is SEA water.

73, Jim K9YC