Topband: K9AY Loop Questions

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jan 6 00:46:18 EST 2022

On 1/5/2022 6:23 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> I tried an AY loop decades ago, without the Array Solutions adjustable
> termination controller, and I do not remember it being that useful for RX.
> The antenna is ground dependant so perhaps it works better for some than
> others. Even a short Beverage may be a better choice. From my P40A station I
> used a Pennant with decent results. It was inexpensive to build and not
> ground dependant however it only covered one direction. The Array Solutions
> Shared Apex Loop Array has great reviews and may be worth considering, Pete.

Again, when thinking about any of these RX antennas it's worth studying
slides  and recordings of W3LPL's several Dayton talks on the topic. One
of its most useful info is how each type is or is not sensitive to
surrounding objects/vegetation and other locally significant conditions
like soil conductivity. Each type has its strengths and its Achilles heels.

73, Jim K9YC