Topband: LOOP on ground test 160m

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Fri Jan 7 06:53:43 EST 2022

Andy

I did a lot of experiments about two years ago with LOGs and BOGs.
Generally I found the BOG to be better and a smaller investment in
"wire". I did a lot of experiments with feeding the LOGs in different
locations (sides, corners, etc) and the results we never very
outstanding. Now I was not as religious about having the LOG actual
laying on bare earth everywhere ( see next paragraph) since I was not
aware at the time that actual laying on top of the ground might be
better for this family of antennas.

My other observation is that for best F/B and RDF is that unlike it s
big brother the BEVERAGE that shorter is better for the BOG. In my case
I have very poor soil (.001/5) . 6" down it pure white sand it ever
stops raining here in Florida for a year it will become a large sand
dune. In my case extensive modeling with AutoEZ and EZENEC PRO4/Ver6.
suggest that optimum F/B @20 degrees arrival is obtained at at about 225
feet (68 meters) and optimum RDF is obtained at ~275ft ( 84M) . I then
ran the same analysis with better soil conductivity and optimum BOG
lengths were even shorter!  This is likely the reason that some folks
report that the BOG is a reasonably good performer and for others find
it is useless.

Now as a matter of full disclosure, all my BOGS are bi-directional with
reflection transformers at the ends and  made from RG6, so the actual
antenna (not just the feedline) is a bigger conductor than a "wire" I
also noted in both theory and in practice that elevation above actual
earth of even a few inches destroyed the F/B. I have since gone to great
pains to get my BOGS "touching" the bare sandy earth . Those of you with
real dirt and or grass may have a different experience !!

Dave

NR1DX

Dave Manuals at ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com