Topband: What antenna would you build?

w5zn at w5zn.org w5zn at w5zn.org
Thu Mar 24 11:33:19 EDT 2022

Hi Dino,

I started with a single 1/4 wave vertical as Tree notes and it worked
extremely well for years, however after a period of time I had a desire
to upgrade the single vertical to a system that offered some gain on TX.
I came across the array that Tim, K3LR, mentioned in "Low Band DX'ing"
that describes his systems and discovered I could build this array
around the existing 1/4 wave vertical and achieve 4-square performance
in a smaller footprint area. I have now used the array for four years
and the performance has been outstanding. After reading the info
regarding this array in Low Band DX'ing I documented some additional
details of my experience that were presented at the Dayton Antenna Forum
and also published in the National Contest Journal. Copies of those
documents can be found here:

https://www.kkn.net/dayton2018/2018_Dayton_Antenna_Forum-160_meter_TX_Array.pdf

https://ncjweb.com/features/sepoct18feat.pdf

As Tree notes, the very first step is to determine exactly what your
objective is. The five element parasitic array has met my objectives for
both contest and DX activities.

73 Joel W5ZN