Topband: W8S - on CW

David Raymond daraymond at iowatelecom.net
Sun Oct 15 15:36:09 EDT 2023

Got to the radio on TB here this morning around 1115z.  Around 1145z I
noticed a spot for W8S on 1811.  I had been CQing up the band and had
just finished with VK6LW and VK3EW.  I tuned down the band to 1811 and,
sure enough, they were there. . . probably too weak to work.  I was
anxious to get going as I needed to get ready for church but decided to
stick around for a few more minutes. They began quickly coming in
strength and were soon copyable with QSB but well enough to call.  I got
them in the log with no difficulty at 1203z.  They were clearly hearing
pretty well and by 1215z they were peaking S6/S7 and were really puttin'
'em in the log. . .NA, VK, and JA.  My SR was 1225z but I couldn't stick
around that long, so I don't know whether or not they continued to get
louder.  It was nice seeing them with good sigs and successfully running
the pile on CW.  Hopefully maybe theh'll get on a little earlier in time
to catch some of the east coast guys.

73. . . Dave, W0FLS
in Iowa