Topband: HEBA antenna

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Apr 20 12:18:07 EDT 2024

On 4/20/2024 11:57 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
 > No one has commented on the "High Efficiency" "Broadband" claims,

Unfortunately, "High Efficiency" and "Broadband" are relative terms
and have a different meaning to the AM broadcasters than they do to
amateurs.  They amount to nothing more than marketing terms.

To the broadcaster, "High Efficiency" simply means the same field
strength as a "standard" (typically 90 degree) antenna over the
standard 240 radial system.  The HEB, given the field measurements,
meets that standard.  Here one is simply trading one set of losses
for another.

Similarly, to the AM broadcaster, "Broadband" simply means sufficient
bandwidth to keep the transmitter happy and avoid distortion of an
IBOC digital signal.  That is far more narrow than even a "50 KHz
under 1.5:1" for amateurs on 160.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV