Topband: HEBA antenna

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Apr 20 16:19:32 EDT 2024

> Similarly, to the AM broadcaster, "Broadband" simply means sufficient
> bandwidth to keep the transmitter happy and avoid distortion of an
> IBOC digital signal.  That is far more narrow than even a "50 KHz
> under 1.5:1" for amateurs on 160.

Great points, Joe. I grew up a mile or two from a 5kW DA-N on 930 kHz,
and as a college student worked at the station. One summer, I helped the
chief engineer silver-solder new radials to new ground screens for the
4-tower array. The bandwidth issue jumped out at me as I drove through
one of their nulls -- where the carrier cancelled, the sidebands didn't.

73, Jim K9YC