Topband: Remotes

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Feb 5 15:28:15 EST 2024

On 2/5/2024 8:57 AM, Steve Harrison wrote:
> This growing practice of hiring a remote in another call area far from
> your own QTH, then working wild and exotic DX wile preventing deserving
> locals operating from their home stations from working same DX, is
> abominable and just plain unethical.

I strongly agree. When I moved from WV to IL in 1964, I kept my DXCC
QSOs. When I moved to NorCal in 2006, I started over. To do otherwise
would have been cheating. From NI6T, a Topband OT, I learned that a guy
who claimed record-high totals on Topband combined QSOs from CO and
after he had moved to the east coast. Phony baloney.

I have no problem with guys on city or suburban lots using RX within a
reasonable distance, like 75 miles. When W7RH lived in/near Las Vegas,
he built a fine station in the desert several hundred miles away that he
operated both onside and remotely. There's a guy in VE6 who has built a
spectacularly good remote station a few hundred miles north of the city
where he lives (forgot his call), and has documented it on his website.
These guys have my great respect for their significant engineering
achievements.

73, Jim K9YC