Topband: https://clublog.org/logsearch/CB0ZA

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Feb 19 16:11:21 EST 2024

Also totally false assumptions about digital modes, including FT8. The
modes invented by Nobel laureate K1JT, and expanded on by the team
responsible for WSJT-X software, are widely used on VHF and UHF for
moonbounce with the same sort of arrays used in the past with CW,
providing about 10 dB signal to noise advantage. Likewise for meteor
scatter. On 6M, I use FT8 extensively for weak signal ionospheric
propagation, and MSK144 for meteor scatter.

During the most recent solar minimum, I used FT8 extensively for a
couple of seasons to extend my country count by about 1,000 miles on
topband. Thanks to the drastic intrusion of electronically generated
noise over the last decade, I've heard only about eight EU stations on
CW in the past 7-8 seasons, and only two have heard me. When I first
moved to Northern California in 2006, I could work EU a few nights a
year, and with the same TX and RX antennas that I still have.

What makes my path to EU so difficult is that it's both long and through
so much of the polar region. It is FAR easier for me to work AF on
topband (when there are stations there to work), even much longer
distances, like ZS.

73, Jim K9YC