Stacked TH7's

barry barry@w2up.wells.com
Thu, 01 Aug 96 12:21:05 EDT

Fred Cady <cady@mainman.ee.montana.edu> writes:

> I've been helping and operating at N7ML's station with the stack of Force
> 12's.  As Steve, K7LXC, points out, there are 6 stacked at 30' on a 190'
> rotating Rohn 55 tower.  This stack plays very well, but...
>
> I think the stacking you propose depends on what you want to do and where
> you live.  For contesting, having all antennas point in the same
> direction is not a good idea.  In fact, its a bad idea.  You need some
> diversity and the ability to put some rf in another direction than where
> the stack is pointing.  I would put the top TH7 at the top of the tower
> on a separate rotor.  You will need to keep track of its direction
> relative to the rotating tower but that should be too hard to do except
> at 3 o'clock in the morning!  I'm trying to convince Mike to do that with
> his top antennas on the triband and 40 stack.  It would be even better to
> be able to independently rotate all three TH7's.  Is there a way to turn
> the guy rings into rotating antenna mounts?  Just a thought.

Would it make sense (and save on the complexity and expense of a rotating
tower) to rotate the top TH7 with a conventional rotor, and rotate the
lower one(s) with a Ringrotor or a sidemount?

I find that I frequently have my two TH7s pointing in different
directions during a contest. 73 Barry

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA
                            Packet Cluster: W2UP >WB2R (FRC)