coax balun on PVC form?

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 06:43:27 -0700

I recently read an article that says that coax baluns work much better,
particularly at lower frequencies, when wound flat on some sort of tubular
form rather than "bundled" as we typically do.  The article discussed
measured characteristics at various frequencies and concluded that the
traditional "hank of coax" might not be very effective below 14 mHz.

My question - I can get 3" ID PVC pipe fittings that look like they'd be a
perfect form for winding such baluns from RG8X.  Does anyone know whether
the poor dielectric qualities of PVC are significant in this application?

Thanks, and please reply direct - I'll report any definitive answer to the
reflector if anyone is interested.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
LOUDER is gooder....