Trylon / Titan Towers??

Scott Neader neader@centuryinter.net
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 23:23:58 -0500

I am still hoping (praying) to put up a self-supporting tower yet this
year.  As background, I have a small corner city lot.  I don't think I have
room for guys, plus the XYL frowns on them.  (Oh, she likes guys, just not
the kind that hold towers up).

My goal is to be half-way competitive in domestic contests like NAQP, so I
don't have to pack-up my station and go guest-op somewhere.  I'd like to
put up a killer tribander and possibly a 402-CD or the tribander would have
40m.  I might consider side-mounting a small tribander for the second
radio.  I'd probably do an inverted vee for 80 and/or load the tower.  Not
sure for 160... either load the tower or an inverted L.  I'd like to be up
around 60 to 70 feet. (remember, no guys and no roof bracket).

Anyway, I asked ya'll about a used Hygain 52ft crank-up, and most everyone
had good things to say about it, but a few got me worried that I could
over-load it pretty quickly with the big tribander (+40m?) I plan to put
up.

Now my question:  KE2VB mentioned that a lot of guys on the east coast have
put up Titan Self Supporting Towers, made by Trylon Mfg. of Ontario.  I
called Trylon (519-669-5421) and got Jon Martin's voice mail.  I asked for
info to be faxed, and he did.  WOW!!  Cool stuff!!  Check these Max. Wind
Thrust Values:

                      TITAN MAXIMUM WIND THRUST VALUES

MODEL  MAX HEIGHT         70MPH              85MPH
-----  ----------    ---------------    ---------------
T200      96ft       200lbs/15 sq ft          n/a
T300      88ft       300lbs/22 sq ft    110lbs/ 6 sq ft
T400      80ft       460lbs/34 sq ft    240lbs/12 sq ft
T500      72ft       600lbs/45 sq ft    450lbs/22 sq ft
T600      64ft       800lbs/60 sq ft    700lbs/35 sq ft
T700      56ft      1000lbs/80 sq ft    900lbs/45 sq ft
T800      48ft      1300lbs/99 sq ft   1130lbs/58 sq ft

It goes together like an erector set... so it ships in pieces, which should
make shipping cheaper plus easier to unload.  The info says I'll have to
use 6 to 7 yards of concrete, depending on how big the bottom section is.

Any experience with Trylon??  Any other suggestions??  Any critiques of my
goal and plans?  I'll summarize and repost if the information warrants it.

73 - Scott KA9FOX

INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and storage
Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / neader@centuryinter.net
Internet Solutions web: http://www.QTH.com/is   Ham web: http://www.QTH.com