Safe Roof Climbing

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 14:21:46 -0400

>The question is -- how do you do this safely? Is the roof too steep to
>walk across? Are there some special shoes I should use? What's the best
>way to anchor myself so I don't have to worry about slipping off? How do
>I anchor myself while I'm walking across the roof?
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill --

     Working on a roof is IMO more dangerous than working on a tower.  I
always rig up a safety line when doing any roof work.  You can anchor it to
the chimney; this is where your tower safety equipment, harness, ropes and
carabiners come in real handy.  If getting to the chimney is precarious,
throw a rope over the peak and anchor it to something on the other side.
 Then use it to get to the chimney.

      I don't know what your roofing material is but here in the PNW we have
a lot of cedar shake roofs.  We use "creepers" which have lots of little
spikes sticking out of them like golf shoes and they just tie in over your
shoes.  You might check with a local roofing comapny and see what they
recommend.  In fact, make a couple of calls until you find someone who is
enlightened about the safety aspects.  Lots of roofers tend to take a cowboy
type of attitude about safety "oh, we don't bother with that stuff".
 Apologies to any REAL cowboys on frequency.

     Be real careful and you'll do just fine.

73,  Steve   K7LXC