Basic guywire information request

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:54:05 -0400

>  How about a basic primer on the proper measuring, cutting, and rigging
>     of guy wires during tower erection
>     One method that occurs to me is to use preforms and thimbles at the
>     tower, preforms at the egg insulators, and then at the turnbuckle end
>     wrap the guywire around a thimble, attach a come-along on the standing
>     end and take a tension while applying and tightening down on
>     conventional clamps and saddles (never saddling a dead horse). Then
>     trim the standing end to length (and finish by separating and serving
>     the wire strands a la the Rohn catalog, for the obsessive). This
>     doesn't have the simplicity of using preforms throughout.

Hi, Steve --

     You'll never believe this!  I have a draft copy of an article on guy
wires that I wrote from the oft-mentioned upcoming tower construction book.
 An SASE will get you a copy.

      As you mentioned using cable clamps, it occurs to me that you may never
had any experience with EHS and cable clamps.  Forget them (way too much
work) and use Preformed guy grips.  Easier and faster.  Skip the serving too.

>     Another  question has to do with the initial adjustment of the
>     turnbuckle before attaching the wire. All the way out at the limit of
>     adjustment, or some intermediate adjustment?

    Try about 3/4 out.  Have you given any thought to how you're going to
pull the guy wire?  One method is to use one of your preforms as a temporary
pull point for your comealong.  The other method is to use a real Kliein EHS
cable puller Chicago grip.  Tower Tech has them.  Typically for first time
tower builders, you'll spend a lot of time putzing around with the guys (too
long, too short, repeat several times) until you get a feel for everything.
 Tower pros have a Klien grip and comealong at each guy - the fastest way to
do it.

>     I can also see the possibility of getting the tower out of plumb when
>     taking tension on the first guy and getting some turnbuckles run all
>     the way in and some all the way out to maintain plumb and maintain
>     tension. I could see that this part of the whole project could drive
>     me crazy!

     Count on it (see above comments).  It's one of those learning curve
things.

73,  Steve  K7LXC