Safe Roof Climing - Followup

Bill Coleman aa4lr@radio.org
Wed, 28 Aug 96 10:56:23 -0400

Had some additional info to share on roof climing. I received many
replies, and I'll be posting a summary soon.

I was watching the PBS show "This Old House." It happened to be a re-run
that I'd seen before, but while you are holding a 3 month old, there's
not much you can do but watch TV....

Anyway, at one point Steve and the roofing contractor crawl out of a
dormer window and examine the roof. (You ever watch stuff like this and
wonder how the camera man got out there?)

What caught my eye was they were each wearing full body arrest harnesses,
with a thick rope clipped to the ring between their shoulders. They
carried the ropes out the window, so I suppose it was tied to something
inside the house. The rope had a lot of slack, but probably not enough to
let them fall to the ground.

--

I have been convinced to use something other than PVC to hold up the
dipole. Instead, I'll use a 10 foot section of 1 1/4" aluminum tube that

--

Oh, and my chimney is a wooden frame about 3 ft on a side. It sits in the
middle of the back roof, with an average height of about 7 feet above the

Bill Coleman, AA4LR           Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901