Scotch Kote?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:51:08 -0400

>Ok, this prompts a question from this corner.  (I have used the commercial
>wrap, it is good, but I am cheap).  I have been using two types of wrap
under
>the 88 tape for 15-20 yrs now and have had nadda problem, but would like a
>pro's opinion....i.e., have I just been lucky?
>One wrap I have used (and I do not have the commercial name) is a rubber
tape
>that is sticky on one side.  This is a stretchable tape and makes a good
tight
>seal around the connector.  It is a tape used in the telecommunications
>industry in the outside plant environment.  (On the roll, the sticky side is
>protected by a plastic cover that is taken off prior to use).  The closest I
>can describe it is a quite thick sticky version of normal rubber tape.
>The other tape is a soft rubber compound that comes in a tape "form" but the
>only "stickiness" is due to the inherent stickiness of the compound.  It is
>somewhat like the commercial wrap except thicker (probably >1/8") and comes
>in widths varying from 1" to 2" (depending on what I can get my hands on).
 By
>stretching it, the thickness will approach that of the commercial wrap.
>Again, a product used in the telecommunications industry as a seal for
splice
>cases, etc. and again, I don't know the commercial name.  The nice thing
about
>this second product is that it is "somewhat" re-usable.  That is, it does
not
>lose its stickiness over time.  Of course the removal of it from the
connector
>shell pretty much destroys that part of it, but the part still on the coax
can
>still serve as the base for new over the shell itself.  It can be formed
then
>into a seamless rubber boot....Opinion?  Gud stuff or lucky?

Hi, Chuck --

     Sounds good to me.  There are lots of manufacturers that make different
products for different applications.  Many of the types of materials that you
mentioned are used by power companies for their high voltage, high
temperature and high current applications where insulating and voltage
breakdown specs are very important.  If you can find them, they can be useful
for amateur applications.  The problems are finding them and affording them.
 Here's the 3M description of the 23 Rubber Splicing Tape that we carry:
"Scotch 23 is a self-fusing, 30-mil, EPR-based, corona-resistant insulating
tape which provides a tight, void-free moisture resistant electrical
insulation.  Use 23 as primary electrical insulation for splicing all solid
dielectric cables through 69 KV and for building stress cones on cables up to
35 KV.  Meets requirements of HHI-553C, Grade A and B, and MIL-I-3825B and
ASTM D-4388, Type III".  You can imagine that there are lots of other tapes
with different specs for all kinds of purposes.  I don't think you can hurt
yourself too badly using these kinds of industrial materials.  Actually, I
would probably recommend almost ANY of these over CoaxSeal - hi.

>ps...regarding the Scotch Kote vapor seal, how would that compare to a
>spray-on vapor seal that used to go by the name of Seal Kote (or something
>that sounded like that).  I had never thought of using a vapor seal over the
>88 tape....gud idea.

      Scotchkote coating "provides a tough, oil-resistant outer seal on
electrical insulation subjected to abnormal weathering, oil or moisture
conditions, such as splices in manholes and underwater cables.  The brush
applied coating provides added oil and moisture protections whdn used over an
application of Scotch vinyl electrical tape".  I've also seen communications
installers use the spray-on stuff that you mentioned and it probably works as
well for outdoor applications.  You won't go wrong using either one.

73 and good luck,  Steve  K7LXC