Scotch Kote?

Jay Terleski WX0B-JTERLESKI@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:04:30 -0500

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> >Ok, this prompts a question from this corner.  (I have used the commercial
> >wrap, it is good, but I am cheap).  I have been using two types of wrap
> under
> >the 88 tape for 15-20 yrs now and have had nadda problem, but would like a
> >pro's opinion....i.e., have I just been lucky?
> >One wrap I have used (and I do not have the commercial name) is a rubber
> tape
> >that is sticky on one side.  This is a stretchable tape and makes a good
> tight
> >seal around the connector.  It is a tape used in the telecommunications
> >industry in the outside plant environment.  (On the roll, the sticky side is
> >protected by a plastic cover that is taken off prior to use).  The closest I
> >can describe it is a quite thick sticky version of normal rubber tape.
> >The other tape is a soft rubber compound that comes in a tape "form" but the
> >only "stickiness" is due to the inherent stickiness of the compound.  It is
> >somewhat like the commercial wrap except thicker (probably >1/8") and comes
> >in widths varying from 1" to 2" (depending on what I can get my hands on).
>  By
> >stretching it, the thickness will approach that of the commercial wrap.
> >Again, a product used in the telecommunications industry as a seal for
> splice
> >cases, etc. and again, I don't know the commercial name.  The nice thing
> about
> >this second product is that it is "somewhat" re-usable.  That is, it does
> not
> >lose its stickiness over time.  Of course the removal of it from the
> connector
> >shell pretty much destroys that part of it, but the part still on the coax
> can
> >still serve as the base for new over the shell itself.  It can be formed
> then
> >into a seamless rubber boot....Opinion?  Gud stuff or lucky?
>
> Hi, Chuck --
>
>      Sounds good to me.  There are lots of manufacturers that make different
> products for different applications.  Many of the types of materials that you
> mentioned are used by power companies for their high voltage, high
> temperature and high current applications where insulating and voltage
> breakdown specs are very important.  If you can find them, they can be useful
> for amateur applications.  The problems are finding them and affording them.
>  Here's the 3M description of the 23 Rubber Splicing Tape that we carry:
> "Scotch 23 is a self-fusing, 30-mil, EPR-based, corona-resistant insulating
> tape which provides a tight, void-free moisture resistant electrical
> insulation.  Use 23 as primary electrical insulation for splicing all solid
> dielectric cables through 69 KV and for building stress cones on cables up to
> 35 KV.  Meets requirements of HHI-553C, Grade A and B, and MIL-I-3825B and
> [...]

Just my 2 cents worth.  A friend of mine is the 3M district manager down
here and he sampled me some Vinyl rubber splicing mastic stuff and some
of the same stuff without the Vinyl ( could be rubber backing ). Its
used for underground waterproof splicing applications,etc.  I used alot
of it 4 years ago when I built my rotating tower with 12 beams and wires
on it.

I am paying for it now that I am moving half of the stacks over to my
second tower.  The stuff is too touph to remove easily.  I have cut
myself several times with a razor knife, jabbed myself with wire dykes,
and probably lost most of my religion.  Not a good thing to try to do at
150 feet up.  So be careful on what one uses for connector seal.  I
think I will just use 33 and scotch kote from now on.

Jay wx0b