T2X repair

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 11:22:49 -0400

>This rotator is well over 12 years old and is becoming more balky with each
>passing month. Last winter, I had a heck of a time getting it to breat
>loose and turn the beam. Even in the current hot weather, I still have to
>rock it loose before I can change directions. I know that having to rock a
>T2X is typical of that unit.
>
>I'm going to pull it off the tower tomorrow and take a look inside. My
>question is: can this unit be lubricated and, if so, is there any
>preference regarding lubricants?

Hi, Joe --

      Twelve years is about double the normal service life of a rotator so I
would have the whole thing gone through before reinstalling it.  You've
probably also got worn gears and other potential problems.  You're also a
candidate for the updated brake wedge that doesn't stick like yours does.  If
you just grease the bearings without having it gone through, it will fail at
an inopportune moment, in the winter, in the middle of a pileup for a new one
and in the near future.

     If you can't do the rebuild yourself, send it to the pros at either CATS
(419-352-4465) or Norm's Rotor Service (301-874-5885).

73,  Steve  K7LXC