T2X repair

David O. Hachadorian k6ll@juno.com
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:12:28 PST

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:23:38 -0400 jfeustle@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU (Joseph A.
Feustle, Jr.) writes:
>This rotator is well over 12 years old and is becoming more balky with
>each
>passing month. Last winter, I had a heck of a time getting it to breat
>loose and turn the beam. Even in the current hot weather, I still have
>rock it loose before I can change directions. I know that having to
>rock a
>T2X is typical of that unit.
>
>I'm going to pull it off the tower tomorrow and take a look inside. My
>question is: can this unit be lubricated and, if so, is there any
>preference regarding lubricants?
>
>Tnx.
>
>Joe Feustle, N8AAT

Joe,

A few months ago, my T2X was behaving exactly as yours is now. On one
occasion, the beams were locked in place for two days before it finally
broke loose. When I pressed the brake release, there was a loud
buzzing sound coming from the rotor unit on the tower, and it was
obvious that the brake was not releasing. Attempts to rock it loose
were unsuccessful during this period.

I sent the rotor off to Hy-Gain for their flat-rate overhaul service.
I think it was about $120, regardless of what needed replacement.
They sent it back in a few weeks, looking and working like brand new.
They provided a long list of parts replaced, which included the
brake housing, potentiometer, terminal board, and a big bunch of
gears. I think their service is a great deal. My recommendation would
be to buy a spare rotor unit from CATS or Norm's, if you don't already
have a spare, and to send your current unit to Hy-Gain for the flat-rate
deal. Good luck.

Dave, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com