Rohn 25 bolts

n4si n4si@techinter.com
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 03:55:59 +0000

> I need to replace the bolts in a  25G tower. I need to find a better type of
> bolt, that won't rust so quickly. The Rohn tower doesn't mention what type of
> bolts to use. Since the stock Rohn bolts didn't last too long, I was thinking
> about stainless. Is there a problem with this? What is the correct size?
>
> Thanks / Happy holidays,
>
> Will

I think the Rohn bolt kits are the best way to go. They are
relatively inexpensive, (certainly less so than SS) and the "right"
ones. The bolt sizes are 5/16" and 1/4" x 1 1/2 (I think; the 5/16
and 1/4 is correct, it's the length I'm not positive on), but more
importantly they are SAE (National Fine) thread.

That has implications both for tightening and later removal after a
rust coat has formed. I have never been unable to back a nut off  a
5/16 bolt, and most 1/4 inch ones. In contrast, I have never failed
to break a 1/4 NC (National Coarse, not North Carolina!) bolt that
has been up a while.

Rohn bolts are galvanized.

A larger question is why do you need to replace them? If you are
re-erecting a used tower, then I highly recommend re-bolting with
Rohn kits. If the bolts have become structurally unsound due to rust,
then I would be suspicious of the whole array.

Stainless Steel can never be torqued to as high a value as steel due
to the galling and subsequent stripping of threads.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996