Radial wire plows

n4si n4si@techinter.com
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 02:11:57 +0000

(heavy editing)

> I too have used the lawn-edger method ... I have tried ... a 10
> inch diameter 'pizza cutter', ax, and fastened to the ground with
> hairpins.
> 73 de Mike / W8DN
> weightdn@bright.net
> Celina, OH
> EN70rm
>

> > In a recent posting N6RK inquired about methods of installing radials in
> > the ground.

(some editing)

> > I too saw the article in ON4UN's book about the "radial plow" and it gave
> > me the idea to buy a gasoline lawn edge trimmer. I have used the edge
> > trimmer to cut a path for the radials and then I installed my radials in the trough
> > made by the edge trimmer.
> >
> > 73, John - W2YR
> >

>From the "I remember seeing somewhere" department:

An article that set the premise for the following method by asking
the reader to recall shooting arrows at a target, and subsequently
having to retrieve those that had gone in to the grass at a shallow
angle.

The author's point was that by sharpening a short section of dowel,
attaching wire to a hole in the opposite end, and then beginning at
the base of the vertical, "sewing" the wire through the grass, below
the thatch, one could install radials without digging, and with
little fear of either tripping over or mowing the wire.  The final
step was to use the dowel at the end of the run as a stake, driven
into the ground and anchoring the wire end.

I never tried it, but it seemed like a good idea. Of course I'll
never forget the April, 1976, edition of QST that had a super sharp
CW filter for headphones... That seemed like a good idea, too! (in
fact, I'm still not convinced it wouldn't work!)

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996