Guy Wire questions

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 00:55:10 -0400

> Was wondering what tensile strength guy wire Rohn recommends for it's guys.

Hi, Charlie --

       Tensile strength of 1/4" EHS is 6,650 pounds.  Correct tension is 10%
of that.

>Along these lines, any comments on the use of dead ends vs. clamps?  I had
>thought that 3 clamps per joint would be less expensive than dead ends, but
>after a quick check of some suppliers, I am thinking that stainless steel
clamps
>at 4 bucks a pop may not be the best way to go.  The galvanized jobs are
only
>40 cents each.

     If you've ever had to bend EHS to put cable clamps on, you probably
wouldn't ask that question - hi.  EHS is very hard and stiff and is a bear to
work with.  Although the preformed guy grips are more expensive, they will
pay for themselves in time saved.  I'm not sure what you meant by "stainless
steel clamps" in the above paragraph.  Haven't seen any myself.  The preforms
are hot-dipped galvanized as are most cable clamps.
And, yes, cable clamps are cheaper than preforms.  By the way, I have a draft
copy of an article I wrote on guy wires.  If you're interested in a copy,
send me your postal address and I'll send one out to you.

73 and good luck,  Steve   K7LXC