Need Advice on a tower

K8DO@aol.com K8DO@aol.com
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 15:21:22 -0500

<< The atmosphere is corrosive, that's why we went with an aluminum tower.
 The
 aluminum tower has already failed once, in an 80 mph breeze, >>

This is right off the top of my (pointy) head and I have not taken the time
to think it through...  so, if I went off into the weeds on this one , _be
kind_  my ego is feeling rather fragile today...

3 step process
1. standard galvanized (rohn) tower and use the anti-electrolysis box that
they use for boat/ship bottoms.... check the boating magazines / boat
shops... I'm not sure what the sacrificial anode should be as the tower is
already zinc coated....
2. epoxy paint the tower after it is up... at least 2 coats.. really pickle
it...
3. leave the legs on the top section open... i.e. don't use a pointy top....
keep the rain out of the legs by putting plastic end caps over the them...
once or twice a year (or whenever the mood strikes, mon) take the plastic
caps off the legs, drop a small vinyl tube down each leg and spray ACF50
through the tube whilst pulling it back up.... ACF50 is used to corrosion
proof airplanes....  Corrosion Technologies,  1-800-638-7361

Denny