Non-magnetic Stainless Steel???

Roger Elowitz K2JAS@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 03:11:28 -0500

Hi All,

Appologies all around. I was wrong on many counts. I shouldn't have tried to be so
"cute" with my vocabulary. Public appologies are extended to Bill, W7TI (ex-W7LZP)
wrt@eskimo.com-  for my implying he did anything wrong when I improperly used the word
"snookered." In this case I was too cute for my own good. Bill certainly had no intent
to mislead or missinform anyone. His effort was sincere and I shouldn't have depricated
that effort with that unfortunate choice of vocabulary.

I was also wrong for believing that there couldn't be a non-magnetic form of stainless
steel and that testing for the quality of that stainless steel with a magnet was in
error. As it turns out, I did know beans about stainless steel but... I'm not to old to
learn. I especially want to thank all those people who contributed to clearing up the
confusion and educating us all. They deserve a tremendous hand for their efforts in
bringing light to a subject where before there was a good deal of ignorance- and I am
speaking mostly for myself here.

Since I am a newly retired science teacher- I always look for "the lesson in things" and
in this experience Bill had found some appropriate words of wisdom that I don't think
he'd mind if I share it with you. He said, somone once said... "It isn't the things a
man doesn't know that gets him in trouble.  It's the things he does know that aren't
true". Recognize anyone? Well, of course.  He's right on the money! I stand corrected
and educated to boot.

Thank you all for your indulgence and for trying to keep this discussion on a higher,
educational plane. I know there are a lot of good people out there who have made a
substantial leap in knowledge as a result of my errors and so some good has come of this
and of that I am especially thankful.

73 all,

Roger Elowitz, K2JAS