USA Today article

EJEDWARDS.OPPD.GOV EJEDWARDS@oppd.gov
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:01:02 -0600

David O. Hachadorian wrote:
>There's an interesting article on page 3 of Thursday's USA
>Today about how the proliferation of cellular phone towers
>has heightened citizen opposition to towers in general.
>Cities are being forced to draft tower ordinances to cope with
>the issue. One city has declared a moratorium on all towers
>until the ordinance is in place.

Probably more than one city has a moratorium in place right now.  With new
2GHz Personal Comm. Svcs (PCS) trying to start up complete cellular systems
overnite, cities are being inundated with permit requests.  Picture every
current cell site with 4 or 5 similar towers right next to them!  Omaha, NE
has a moratorium on new towers right now, but I was able to get a special use
permit anyway for a 100 ft free standing commercial tower for the utility I
work for.

Our local radio club has also worked closely with the City Planning Dept. on a
new ordinance for Amateur Radio towers increasing the height from 43ft 9in. to
70ft max. without any special use permit.

If your city is re-writing their Master Plan like Omaha is right now, you'd
better get involved and get language in there to allow for ham towers.
BTW, those "tree towers" are made just west of Omaha in Valley, NE where we
don't have any pine trees that look like that.

Good Luck!
73,
de ed  K-zero-IL (ex-WD0GHA)
Eddie Jay Edwards                           E-mail: ejedwards@oppd.gov
P.O. Box 375                                  Amateur Radio Call: K0IL
Elkhorn, NE  68022-0375                 AK-SAR-BEN ARC President, 1996
Visit Ak-Sar-Ben ARC home page at   ---->   http://www.probe.net/~aarc