Best Climbing Safety Harness

Craig Clark nx1g@top.monad.net
Wed, 02 Oct 1996 09:10:54 -0500

        At 11:57 PM 10/1/96 GMT, you wrote:
>Hi Tony,
>
>The harness that I saw had the extra d-ring in front.  I thought I would
>put a 2' strap from here to a tower cross-bar,

Many years ago, I bought a belt from ONV. It is well designed and
constructed and has served me well. If I did a lot of tower work, I'd look
for a more comfortable belt. I have seen German climbing belts and they are
beautiful. For occasional use they are way too expensive. ONV will do an
acceptable job.

However, I have always been concerned that the ONV belt has no back-up
safety feature. While in the Army, I learned how to do technical rock
climbing and rappelling. We made Swiss seats using ropes and used many of
the items you see in an EMS or REI catalog: carabineer, nuts, "friends" etc.
I have also gone climbing with a college friend in the White mountains and
here in my back yard on Mt. Monadnock. In preparation, I bough a
manufactured Swiss seat, flat cord and several kinds of carabineer from EMS.

The bottom line is, now when I climb, I use both the belt and Swiss seat.
The belt is used as my main protection. The Swiss seat is used during the
climb and after I belt in to the tower. I use locking "beaners" for extra
safety. The lanyard on the Swiss seat is made from flat cord, tied in a loop
with a square knot (left over right, right over left: not a Granny knot) The
belt goes around the tower for ease of access. The lanyard goes through the
tower ensuring I will not fall more than 2-3 feet before I am stopped.

I err on the side of being cautious. I'm not afraid of the heights, I am
afraid of a fall and the sudden stop.

73 Craig

			Craig Clark
		     soon to be ex-NX1G
	send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list
			Radio Bookstore
	Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
			(603) 899 6957
			(603) 899 6826 fax
			PO Box 209
			Rindge, NH 03461